Sponsorløp - Grønne Jobber i Mali

         Each year, the Global class holds a school wide fundraiser for the charity they support in Mali. Usually, they would have traveled there, but of course this year that was impossible. This charity--that recycles littered plastics to create school desks--is very important to their class, so they went all out raising money by holding a Sponsorløp, or charity run. Everyone at school made an account that others could send donations to--either as a one time payment, or a pledge to give a certain amount for every loop the student made around the 1 km trail. Big shoutout to Valeria's dad for sponsoring both of us! :)


        Before the event started, we all gathered down at the lake. Nearly everyone from school was participating, teachers included, and we kicked it off with a warm up dance to YMCA. Part of the fun of the day was that people were encouraged to wear crazy costumes, and their friends could donate to their cause if they accepted certain dares. Eric biked around in a dress, while Kristine walked the track with a plush tiger over her shoulders. Eskil dared Sofia to respond to everyone she spoke to by calling them 'babe', so we had some good laughs while walking around together. When Sofia got tired, she got Tomimaru to carry her for a lap, pledging a few bucks to his cause. 

        I wasn't costumed up because I'd been dared something very specific. Tommy, the Global teacher, and the coach of the CrossFit gym elective, dared me to do as many burpees as I could in five minutes, at 8kr a burpee (nearly a dollar).  After avoiding Tommy for a few rounds, we finally ran into each other and he began the timer. He'd told me I could do at least 50, but I wasn't sure I believed him. In the most painful five minutes of my life, I did a grand total of 64 burpees, earring 512kr (almost $60!).

        I was so tired after the burpees, but I was glad to have done my part. I was also dared to do a funky dance each time we crossed the finish line, so I busted out a whole array of crazy moves to the amusement of the judges--they were counting how many times each person went around. In the end, I was nowhere near the top earner--I think Kristine had raised over $1,000--but the event was extremely successful, and the project collected almost 200,000kr (over 22 grand!). 

        After the run, we all went back to the school to have a nice cookout on the lawn. We also had a raffle, and lots of people got t-shirts, chocolates, and books. Sofia came away with a pack of 18 bags of Sørlandschips--nearly an entire bag for each day left of school. We all ate popsicles, and spent the rest of the day outside together, enjoying the weather--and the chips!








Comments

  1. Wow, 64 burpees!! It looks like a lot of fun for a good cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, $22K is a lot of money! I wonder if that class will be traveling to Mali this year?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Town

Bookbinding Seminar

Back at School