Sushi Making

         Every couple of Thursdays we have International Food, where one of the NLC students prepares food from their country for the school. A few weeks ago it was Tomimaru's week--Japan--so he made sushi! I'm not in the International Food class, but sometimes when they have a lot to do, they ask for volunteers. I love sushi, and it's been a bucket list thing of mine to make it, so of course I offered to help.


        I arrived a little late because I'd been at ballspill, but when I got there, there was still lots of work to be done. I sat down and was immediately given a bamboo mat to roll the maki, and instructions on what to fill them with. We had seaweed, avocado, carrots, cucumber, and rice for the vegetarian rolls, and we added salmon for the rest. It was kind of difficult rolling them, but I had a lot of fun, and they turned out really well! 

        When we had made all of the rolls, we had to cut them up into cute little bites. Valeria and I got to work on that, while other people worked on the nigiri, and on making shrimp tempura. I helped make the tempura batter, and a different group fried them. There were a lot of people helping, and we had so much fun experiencing this together. 


        When we were finished, we had an amazing table of all different types of sushi. There was soy sauce, ginger, and wasabi to eat it with, and we dug in. I was really surprised that so many Norwegian chose to eat the regular bread and pålegg for evening meal instead of the sushi, because it was absolutely delicious! Many of the students here aren't huge fans of fish, despite how good Norwegian salmon is. I had a wonderful time making sushi, and I'm so glad that I was allowed to help out. It was a really great night, and, @mom, it also wasn't that hard to make, so maybe we can make sushi when I get home! Also big thanks to Fabian for these amazing pictures! 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Town

Bookbinding Seminar

Back at School