Oh Deer! (BTW Contains Kind of Graphic Photos)

         Yesterday as I was heading to Ball Games, I ran into a bunch of the Friluft class hanging out in the hallway. That seemed sort of strange, but they were all crowded outside of the gear room--where we have all of the NLC and Friluftsliv supplies. I went over to see what the commotion was about, and was met with the sight of a deer hanging from the ceiling. 

(I need a picture because the first picture is always highlighted and I think some people might not want to see a dead deer. I was going to pick a picture of Bambi but then I felt bad, so here's Thumper).

        The class has been working on getting their hunting licenses, and are prepping to take the test on Monday. They went out on Wednesday with some professional hunters, who took them in groups to stalk deer--only the hunters had guns. I guess the students were loud or something, because it was the hunter without a group that actually shot the one deer--a six point buck. These deer are smaller than the ones I know, and I was told that they don't get much bigger than this. 

        I went to my class, and when I came back they were in the middle of taking the hide off. Eskil, Linn, Ida and Frederik were running the show, so Ananda and I stuck around for moral support--chatting with them about the deer, and their upcoming exam. Once they skinned it, they wanted to clean the hide so that they could make a mat out of it. 

        They intend to do everything themselves, not send it to a tanner or taxidermist. It was a real struggle to clean, and partway through they were all getting tired and needed help, so somehow I ended up scraping gunk off of a deer hide. Not exactly how I thought my evening would go. Maybe I can be an honorary Friluftsliv member now--or they'll at least think of sharing the venison with me when they cook it! 


        It was a very interesting and unexpected part of my day. The sight was even more unexpected for the students that had decided it was a good night for a Saw horror movie marathon. After watching people butchered onscreen, it was a shock for some to come downstairs in the dark and see the deer hanging there! 

Comments

  1. I just love that you put a picture of Thumper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa and Uncle Steve will hopefully be doing the same starting tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know how they prepare the venison!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Town

Bookbinding Seminar

Back at School