Spending Time on the Lake

        After spending so long in quarantine, what I wanted more than anything was to get outside. It's been really nice here these past few days, and it was painful watching what could have been the last warm days slip by, while I was unable to leave my room. However, the weather has remained beautiful--and by that I mean mid 60s. On Thursday, Alina and I decided to take out one of the canoes. We got dressed in multiple layers--it's still windy and a bit chilly on the water--got our life vests and were ready to go!


        Since we took the safety course, we just had to ask for the key to get paddles. We can technically go whenever we want to. The school has 15 or so canoes, but most of them are kept up at the school for the Friluftsliv (Outdoor Life) class. They recently went on a canoeing trip, so there was only one canoe at the lake, but that was perfect for us. 


        It's really cool being able to walk to the store, jog around the lake, take the canoes out, and generally do stuff on my own. As long as you make it to class and meals, the rest of your time is yours. There's always access to the gymnasium and workout gym, boardgames and knitting in the living room, pingpong and pool tables, and a theater where you can watch Netflix on the big screen. I do still have homework, and tasks to do during the day, so it's been nice finding a balance between work and fun, while managing my time so that I can get a decent night's sleep.


        Life here is always full of fun adventures, and canoeing was no different. We went around the lake, keeping to the shore, and then paddled in circles around the islands, before heading back. It was such a gorgeous day to be on the water. 


        Thursday wasn't the last nice day either. This weekend had some great weather, so on Sunday my friends and I went down to the lake to tan. Ananda and Emilie even jumped in! I hope these warm days last, because I'd love to go canoeing a few more times before it gets too cold! 




Comments

  1. I can relate to you being on the water! Yesterday morning we had 7 swans swim right by us. I'm wondering if you have seen any wildlife lately. Hope the weather stays nice for you, I love hearing about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really isn't that much wildlife to see. The animal I see the most is slugs! On one of my first days I saw a doe and two fawns, but I haven't seen any interesting animals since.

      Delete
  2. Does the Outdoor class have to carry the canoes down the path when they go canoeing? We've had really nice fall weather here, too. Warm in the sun, but chilly at night. We haven't had frost yet, so I'm still getting tomatoes from the garden everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outdoor class doesn't canoe in the lake that often, but they usually take the canoes on their trips, so it's easier to keep them at the school.

      Delete
  3. I love hearing about your canoeing adventures! Are you practicing your stern pry and J strokes?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Town

Bookbinding Seminar

Back at School