Breakdancing Gods

         Last week we attended two plays in Kristiansand. The first one was called Pust. It had only two actors, on a nearly empty stage, and they played a couple discussing the ethics of bringing a child into the modern world. (I may or may not have fallen asleep in the middle). The entire thing was in Norwegian, and they spoke very, very quickly. It was extremely impressive though, as they had to memorize an hour and a half of straight conversation/argument. We saw Pust at Riksteatret in the city, which was a nice break from our normal evenings. Here are some pictures of inside the theater:


        The next day, we went back to Kristiansand to see a breakdancing show about the Norse Gods, called Norr. It was aimed more at children, but it was super fun! The dancers were absolutely amazing. They were so strong, and had some insane moves, like spinning on their heads, or jumping up and down--while upside down. The show wasn't very long, but it was extremely entertaining. One funny thing was that whenever they introduced a character, they showed his stats--strength, speed, intelligence etc. (Thor ranked the lowest in intelligence). 

        Randomly, before we entered the theater, we were accidentally caught in some sort of bicycle parade, where people had their bikes made into animals, trees, and other float type things. One was a horse, and as they pedaled, they also used hand cranks to make the horse 'gallop'!


        Overall it was a fantastic show, and I was actually able to understand most of it. Understanding has been a real challenge for me. I can sort of speak--obviously I'm lacking in vocabulary, and just learning proper grammar--but I really struggle to comprehend when others speak to me. I can tell that I'm improving though, and I think that while I don't understand everything now, the exposure is definitely helping. Here's a video I snuck of the show :)




Comments

  1. Happy to hear you are doing such a variety of activities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I miss live theater! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it, but I'll watch Hadestown again instead. I'll never forget our trip together. Hope Broadway is back when you come home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Town

Bookbinding Seminar

Back at School