Bookbinding Seminar

         I wasn't going to post about this because it's probably going to spoil a few people's Christmas gifts, but I had so much fun that I wanted to share it! Our most recent Saturday seminar was Bookbinding, taught by M+M (Marianne from art, and Marianne from NLC). I was so into it that I didn't take any pictures, but I have some pics of my finished results that I will share. 

        The teachers set up a bunch of tables for us to work at, and a huge table filled with different types of patterned craft paper, magazines, old books, and postcards that could be used for our covers. We used a bone tool to fold blank pages, then ripped them in half and folded them again. Once we stacked 10 pages, we could find a cover that we liked, measure and cut it, and begin sewing the books together. At the end, we used a large slicer to even out the edges. The result was adorable notebook style books. 




        When I finished the notebook I was supposed to make, I saw the postcards and wanted to get creative. I made a few tiny books out of Norwegian postcards, and when I cut them, they turned out to be the cutest little books ever! I missed knitting class this week because of my cold, so everybody else has been knitting nonstop the past few days. We were all hanging out in the peisestue--the main living room with a fire place--and I wanted something to do too, so I asked the art teacher and she gave me more bookbinding supplies. I then spent the whole afternoon making more postcard books. 


        They were so fun to make, and turned out looking great! (and will make great presents too). Everyone was joking that I'd really found my calling on my gap year :) There's another bookbinding seminar later in the year, where they are going to teach us a new technique, so I am very excited. 


Comments

  1. So cool! (I like the lighthouse one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute!!!! A love of all things book related runs in the family, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed that you can turn simple bookbinding into such a creative enjoyable art. Do you have my address? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful!
    ps did you get my joke?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive work👍 Really beautiful postcard books😀

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Town

Back at School