Food!

        When I arrived at Agder I was given a stocked kitchen, and needed to prepare my own meals during quarantine. I'm not much of a cook, and some of the food, like the 'makrell i tomatsaus' was a bit of a culinary mystery to me. Not knowing exactly what, or how much food I would be given, I had brought with me a jar of peanut butter, some instant oatmeal packages, taco seasoning, and a box of mac n cheese. Over this last week I've made a variety of meals, and I thought I would share some of them here!


Breakfast of peanut butter bananas and oatmeal. (The postcard is of Lindesnes, the lighthouse at the southernmost tip of Norway).


Bjorn and I collaborated to make delicious taco bowls from what we had!



I was also able to eat the leftover taco meat with eggs for breakfast. Yum!


Definitely the most interesting thing that I've tried so far has been the tin of mackerel in tomato sauce.


I'd say I'm a pretty adventurous eater, so when I saw this in my fridge, I knew I'd have to try it. I had no idea how to use it though, so I spent quite a while googling it until I found some hilarious Norwegian TV commercials that showed it on a sandwich!


My first mackerel lunch was just the fish on some bread, I was so excited that I forgot to add anything else. 


The second time was better--I added some cheese and lettuce and it was delicious!


Everything is better with chips, and these chips are amazing! They're similar our local Cape Cod Chips, and I'm glad I was only given one bag because I would eat them for every meal if given the chance. 'Hav' means sea, so 'havsalt' means sea salt. 


I had bacon, so I used it to make BLTs. Ate charred bacon the first night, but I definitely got the hang of cooking it by the third time around, and it was perfectly crispy! The bread here is unsliced, so I have to cut it before each meal, and the bread bag has a monkey on it, who I've learned is a very famous monkey at the Kristiansand zoo. 


When they came around and asked if we needed any more food, Bjorn and I were on the same wavelength. He asked for brownie mix, and I got ice cream, so naturally we had ice cream sundays!


It was so good that I forgot to take a picture, so I had to have seconds :)


Thankfully quarantine is almost over, and the dining hall will be open soon. I'm really looking forward to the Norwegian waffles with brown cheese--or anything really that wasn't cooked by me. Luckily yesterday I met my teacher Marianne, and she brought us takeout! It was delicious, and a refreshing reminder of what food should taste like. 

 

Comments

  1. Gross mackerel but glad you liked it! Everything else you made looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a really good variety of food! Let us know what they serve at the school's opening dinner Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Town

Bookbinding Seminar

Back at School